A Life Long Wedding Round Three, The Cake Stand

The Cake with SK


Kimmies cake was dreamt of for many years. Her favorite flavors, colors and the lines of cake were all important.


Over twelve hundred invitations were sent, so this meant we needed a larger than normal cake with many flavors.

She wanted to make sure it tasted fabulous on top of looking stupendous....

The cake design was sketched and re-sketched, then drawn to scale in color.

Because the cake would have five layers and be over 50" tall and weigh more than a hundred pounds, a typical cake stand would never do.

I turn to what I know, and I knew this cake needed a very special and sturdy cake stand.

I purchased a 16" round pine board. Then I bought four elegant curtain finials. You can find them in the curtain department of your local home store.
I spray painted the pine board and finials with a Rustoleum hammered metal paint. The finials come with a screw which I screwed directly into the bottom of the pine round. Making sure I measured, making them even and level.
With silver foil and white glue, I silvered all the surfaces, then antiqued with black water based paint. After all these surfaces were cured, 
I painted three coats of clear semi-gloss polyurethane for durability.
Cake and truffle tastings. And to top it off a dozen roses were delivered to show the stand off. 
Lucky Bride...
 
To make sure this stand would hold the fairy tale cake, I had my daughter stand on it and dance around. It didn't even budge so I was confident it would hold this monster cake.

Thanks for visiting.
Round four will showcase the cake and all the details which went into it's creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Friends, love to hear your thoughts.
SK