Painted Lady French Doors

Painted Lady French Doors

I used these old french doors to experiment with light, dark and texture effects.. The color and painted effects make me smile.
The doors were left without any varithane or other protectant. With the moisture in Oregon I need to make sure these doors are waterproof. I took some time figuring out a fun and unusual color combination and texture.  An old plastic lace tablecloth came in handy. I have one that is multi-painted from various projects. It's fun just by itself. Painting clothes, tarps and such have a story to tell. Don't get rid of them. My girls have taken a pair of my thirty year old painting pants, cut them up, matted and framed the best parts as a memory of our colorful past...

Pine doors are a soft wood and must be protected from the elements.  I used a red colour crayon to draw freehand vines. This acts as a barrier. When the painted finish is dry I will rub off the crayon leaving the exposed wood.  I painted an undercoat of red.    

                       
I then painted a black coat over the red and sanded the edges for a antique and old used look.
         
Using an old plastic lace tablecloth. I laid the scalloped lace edge along the edge of the doors.
 
I spray painted the lace with white enamel.

                                             
Then spray painted a second coat of black.


When paint is dry I removed the lace and using a dark umber glaze, 
I wiped the doors front and back to antique. I finished with an exterior poly coat.

The doors are truly unique and fun in a story book way.
Thanks For Visiting.
sk

1 comment:

Hey Friends, love to hear your thoughts.
SK