I Hate Old Brassy Gold!

A Chandelier Rebirth


I had some fun this week when I was presented a challenge with this ugly old brass hanging chandelier. It's new life is to be in a young women's newly remodeled bedroom.

It was free so whatever I did with it would be an improvement. You can find these cheap brass/gold lights in just about every home restoration/Goodwill store.

Trying to add an additional focal point to this pretty little bedroom. I decided to create a more boudoir like lighting.

The candle lights would get new shades made from 12x12 craft paper that matches her bed linens.
I purchased 6 inexpensive light shades and using spray glue covered them with the black and white craft paper. You can use the actual lamp shade to make a pattern.

Hold the glued paper till it sticks.









I scrounged some black grosgrain ribbon. Sewing right down the center of the ribbon I then gathered it for the top and bottom of each shade.

I cleaned the metal with vinegar and soap. This helps get any oil residue off. I then lightly sanded the entire fixture with a sponge sanding block. This gives a"tooth" surface. Slick surfaces need this kind of treatment for paint to adhere.

This hammered spray finish can be tricky if you are impatient. Fine coats and several re-coatings will give that hammered look. 
After the paint cured I used a soft cloth and paint remover and just wiped areas of black to let the old gold shine through.
This gave it a well-worn look. I then spray coated it with a matt clear spray.
Each time I get to re-create and save something from the dumpster it's fun. I will post pictures soon when it is hung happily in it's new space.

Thanks go to this daring family. But what could it hurt? A can of spray paint and some odds and ends. It's fun to be a part.

This project is nothing new I can assure you. I'm sure you've seen it done many time before. People everywhere are spray painting these old lights and giving them new life.

SK Sartell Artist*Designer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Friends, love to hear your thoughts.
SK