Mercury Glass, Rabbits and Snowflakes

Old fashioned Mercury glass is fragile, hard to find and expensive. This much loved glassware was discontinued as mercury was found to be hazardous.  So  we have to replicate the look with a safe and less expensive alternative.

 
This spray paint has opened up all kinds of ideas. Mercury glass being the one I have chosen to use for the holidays.


I purchased some very inexpensive glassware and also used a few collected and saved candle jars. Making sure they are very clean you lightly(and I do mean lightly) spray a first coat. A quick light spray and you won't get runs which you DO NOT WANT. I used a hair dryer in between coats. The more coats the heavier the metal glass will look. If you take a smal fabric and swab a few places bare of the paint it will start to look old. Some people use a very fine mist of water or vinegar water in places so the paint does not stick. I found this made more of a mess. I simple rubbed a few spots here and there to lend the antique look. I then took black and umber paints and dabbed it onto a few of the bare spots and then lightly sprayed the mirror paint over them.


The more spots and odd colors the older the mercury glass will look.

A more all inclusive tutorial can be found on:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Friends, love to hear your thoughts.
SK